Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after sex. What can be done?

Question
Hi, the last few weeks i have been having intense burning and my clitoris and labias are swelling up after sex. I have been dating the same guy for a year and this has never been a problem till recently. It usually starts burning towards the end after he climaxes or has pulled out. The burning and swelling usually goes down within an hour after sex but it is tender and stings to touch for a fews days after. I went to the doctor and they said it looked red and a little swollen but the cultures and tests they did all came out normal. He travels all week so I always hope by the time he gets back it will have fixed itself but this does not seem to be the case.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get both partners Examined by experts.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

The problem you face is really trouble sum & affects sexual pleasure. I understand your concern.

Few things are to be cleared while solving your problem.
1) This type of trouble can arise form infection (bacterial, yeast or trichomonal) as you say vaginal swab culture is negative & you don't seem to have vaginal discharge, infection seems to be non applicable. Still few points deserve consideration.
- If it is associated with itching, Yeast or trichomaonal infection is mostly the cause. In the beginning, only one partner may have itching & is manifested in both at a later stage. The fact that you have sex only at week ends makes this possible. Consulting an Urologist for your partner is worthwhile.
2) The burning without itching suggests Allergy to condom (if you are using it) or
- An allergy to semen/ or sperms may produce the symptom. (In such a case, it won’t manifest after use of condom.) Anti allergic drugs help.
3) Dryness of vaginal mucus membrane, with friction gets inflammation & burning. Lubrication will help in this case.
A well balanced diet with vitamins (A, C, E) helps to alleviate dry vagina.
4) Diabetes can have vaginal mucus membrane changes producing swelling & burning after sex; this may or may not be associated with itching, & infection.

In short, if I were to be your treating doctor, I would consider the following possibilities and examine both of you. Please consult an expert Gynecologist/ Urologist. Your trouble can be definitely solved .Treatment to both partners is essential in some conditions. Treatment has to be taken as per doctor’s advice.
Local hygiene is a must for both the partners.

I hope the answer is both informative & helpful to you. Any further queries are welcome.