Having inguinal hernia that is not painful. Is it necessary to do surgery?

General Surgeon
I have an inguinal hernia that is not painful and not red, it just pops out a little when I exert myself. One of the doctors told me that I will need to get an operation in the near future and I wondered if they have a means of doing arthroscopic surgery on the hernia. Some friends have told me that they had a net-like substance applied and that the whole process took at least 2 weeks to heal and that it was quite painful. Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with hernia is that it can stuck. And you never know if and when it will happen. In case of hernia stuck, emergency surgery is necessary. That is why it is good to have the surgery planned before any emergency situation will occur.
There is a few methods of inguinal hernia repair including classic surgery and laparoscopic surgery (key hole surgery).
Generally nowadays most of inguinal hernia repairs is done with classic method. Laparoscopic technique seems to be unnecessary and too complicated comparing to classic one.

Classic surgery is based on the mesh insertion witch task is to create a hard, scar tissue on the mesh surface. This scar tissue prevents hernia from getting out. This method is very effective. Recovery time is about 2 weeks indeed. Some patients do feel lots of pain after it. Mostly because of nerves damage. However properly done hernia repair does not cause much pain as nerves can be saved.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.