Having inguinal hernia. Exercise regularly and no pain. Could I ask a doctor?

I suspect I have an inguinal hernia on my right side. It pops out during daily activity. During the night, it generally goes back in.

I exercise pretty regularly, stretching, pushups, sit-ups or crunches, riding a bike or Nordic track.

There is no real pain, but some discomfort, probably best described as a "burning".

Can I continue to exercise, and how soon should I see a doctor?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concerns here.

What you describe is the classical representation of reducible hernia.

Hernia is a condition that can be treated effectively by surgery alone. Surgery can be planned as per your convenience unless and emergency forces you take it up immediately. Irreducible hernia and obstructed hernia are two complication for an emergency surgery. In other words, we can delay hernia surgery untill an emergency arises.

Activities that increase abdominal pressure such as chronic constipation, chronic cough, sit-ups, and all abdominal exercises highers the chance of hernia complication. Therefore it is best to avoid those. If you choose to perform those exercise, I would recommend the use of abdominal belts for additional support. Your physical trainer will know about this belt. Discuss with them.

Stop exercise if you develop severe crampy abdominal pain and consult your doctor. This burning pain is less likely to be related. Try some over the counter antacids and see if the pain improves.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need complications.

Follow-up: Having inguinal hernia. Exercise regularly and no pain. Could I ask a doctor? 36 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

So I guess it is best to avoid abdominal exercise, and just concentrate on whatever I can do without straining my abs. When I mentioned burning, I meant a sensation in the muscle, not acid indigestion.

The belt you mentioned — do you mean what used to be called a truss?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 45 minutes later
You are welcome...

Yes, it would be also called as inguinal hernia truss. They provide addition enforcement over the abdominal wall and prevent hernia. You can try that if you are not using them yet.

We hear the pain being described as a dull ache or pulling type of pain from patients suffering from similar problem. But if the location of pain is over the hernia region, then I would not over rule hernia induced pain.
In such cases, if the pain is intense all you need to do is reduce the hernia by pushing into the abdominal cavity. You can take experts help or perhaps the help of YouTube videos to reduce hernia.

And yes, in all probabilities avoiding straining abdominal exercise would be the best method to prevent complication arising from this pre-existing condition.

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you need clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion and review.