Ask a Urologist   »  

Having infection while urinating. Having pain in abdomen and burning sensation. What can be done?

Jul 2016

My mom is having some infection while urinating she is feeling pain left abdomen. There is burning sensation in the while urinating.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to Cystitis

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 60 years old mother is having pain and burning while passing urine.

In majority of females at this age after menopause have atrophy of entire Genito Urinary organs due to hormonal (Oestrogen) deficiency leading to narrowing of urethral passage what is called as post menopausal Urethral Stenosis causing incomplete emptying of the bladder which in its turn leads to stagnation of urine in the bladder (Post Void residue).

This post void residual urine gets infected (Cystitis) giving symptoms of burning urination and pain.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and get following basic tests done under his guidance to confirm the diagnosis:
1) Urine routine and urine culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy),

In the mean while give her broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antispasmodics like Flavoxate for couple of days and later on shift to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report.

She may need to undergo endoscopic dilatation of urethral passage (Urethral Calibration ) to dilate her urethra so that there will be pain free and complete emptying of bladder. She will need clean self intermittent catheterisation (CSIC)at home for long period may be for 3-4 months which will resolve her issue for forever.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you.