Having infection in hands, around finger nails. Not painful and itching but skin peeling off. Suggest?

my wife is having infection in her hands. its around her finger nails. it is not itching nor paininf. but skin seems to be peeling off.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the image uploaded. It looks to me like fungal infection at the nail base. These are known as paronychia.

I would advise my patients usually to do the following.
- Avoid using any nail polish, artificial nail etc.
- Soak the affected hand 2-3 times daily in warm salt water.
- Use ketoconazole cream on the affected areas.

If the symptoms does not come down in 1-2 weeks, please visit a dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment.

Hope this addresses your concern. let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Thanks & Regards