Having indigestion, bloating, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea. Food poisoning? Irregular heart beat and swollen neck glands after taking Peptobismol

I went to the doctor on Friday, to see why I was so lethargic. I had indigestion, stomach ache, bloating, vomiting, nausea. Doctor checked me over, asked me what I ate, doctor said it was food poisoning. Told me to take Pepto bismol, and stay hydrated. Have had 48 hours of diarrhea. Lost 10 pounds, and colon is cleaner than a whistle. Been on the Barty diet, minus the bananas, drinking water and Gatorade. Went to bed last night with swollen neck glands, woke up to an irregular heartbeat, diarrhea is gone, stopped taking Pepto bismol, and now it feels like my headache is moving up the back of my neck into my head. Had small bm this afternoon, and urinary is ok, soreness in my guts, due to irregularity of course. I feel like I need an antibiotic, even though I feel ok, I am unsure if the virus or bacteria that bugged me is still in my body.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
It usually takes 4-5 days to recover from such an episode. Since you are becoming better, you don't need an antibiotic. Also, food poisoning is due to certain toxins released by bacteria. Symptoms will not improve with an antibiotic.
I would suggest that you take it easy, take plenty of water and Gatorade and have small, home cooked meals.
You will be alright in the next couple of days.
I hope to have addressed your concerns.
Get well soon.