Ask a Urologist   »  

Having increased frequency of urination. Taking antibiotic. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2016

Hi. I am urinating small volumes every 1 hr 115 mins approx. during the day. this started last night and the volume of urine seems to be shrinking. Urination is painful and I feel a bit tired nd bloated but no other pain.

This has been happening for so e time on and off and my GP had me on antibiotics - one course after the first so two courses which I finished 5 days ago.
Will go back to GP day after tomorrow but meanwhile does the tiny amount of urine casing me to urgently urinate a cause for concern?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have increased frequency of urination since couple of days and taking antibiotics but results are not satisfactory

This is mostly due to either UTI or what is called as Over Active Bladder Syndrome.
Normally the muscles of the Bladder (Detrusor muscle) contract when Bladder is filled with 250 ml of urine to initiate the Urination. However in this condition of Over Active Bladder syndrome, contraction of the bladder are initiated even if small amount of urine is collected in Bladder. These contractions are involuntary and not under our control and that is the reason you have sensation of Urgency.

This can be confirmed only by doing Urodynamic study of the Bladder.

Please get your Urine test and culture done to rule out UTI.

Please consult qualified Urologist for evaluation. In the mean while start taking medicine like Darifenacin or Solifenacin once daily to control this involuntary contraction. This is long term therapy and you need to take medication at least for 3-4 months.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.