Ask a Dentist   »  

Having hypothyroidism and taking Thyronorm daily. Taking Nicotex to quit smoking. Upper jaw gums are swollen and bleeding. Solution?

I am XXXXXXXXXXX aged 29 and I have hypothyroidism. I take Thyronorm 100 mcg everyday. Other than that I used to smoke. But for past 2 months I have not and I am taking Nicotex 4 mg to help me be away from the Cigarets. Problem is that my gums bleed. Especially the area in front of the mouth on upper jaw. While brushing I always bleed. Also when I press the gums it bleeds. The upper jaw gum is swollen. Sometimes it swells a lot but later subsides. Could you please advice what to do? it is painful also when it bleeds.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics,scaling,antiseptic rinses

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

After going through your complete history,it appears that the present cause for bleeding from your gums in the upper jaw is due to gingivitis.

In simpler terms,gingivitis(gum inflammation) is due to local deposition of tartar(calculus) near the neck of tooth ( visible gum line).It can occur from mild to severe forms.

Depending upon the amount of swelling, bleeding and its periodicity of recurrence it is treated accordingly.

As presently in your case,the pain, swelling and bleeding on and off, can be very well treated by scaling(complete mouth cleaning).

It has been proven clinically that smoking has an adverse effect on gum tissues and turn them dark too.It is appreciable that you have quit smoking since past two months.

Now coming to treatment aspect,This deposited tartar cannot be removed by normal brushing as it is adherent to tooth surface.

But,there is nothing to worry about this,please see your dentist and get complete mouth scaling(cleaning) done .A mixture of air and water spray is used to remove this tartar(calculus)

simultaneously, you can use antiseptic mouth washes like Hexidine too.But please remember to use antiseptic mouth washes for a period of 15 days only, at a time.

Upon visiting the dentist,the extent of damage caused can be well diagnosed with diagnostic x rays and if required a course of antibiotic can be given.

This should solve your gum problem but as it is recurrent in nature,you must maintain very good oral hygiene and avoid smoking completely.

Hope i have answered your query.For any further doubts please let me know.