Having hypothyroidism and diabetes and suffering from severe hair loss. What is the remedy?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Thanks i am female 56 years. Hypothyroid on Eltroxin and have diabetes. I am on janument50/500 and it is under control. .I have severe hair loss and am almost balding if front. My doctor suggested PRP. I am scared
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypothyroidism may be responsible for hair loss. Detailed Answer: Hi, It seems that you may be having telogen effluvium. The cause would be hypothyroidism. There may be some other cause also. You should be investigated to rule out liver diseases, renal diseases or other internal diseases. It may be female pattern baldness too. You continue to take eltroxin for hypothyroidism. I suggest my patients like you to take biotin containing tablet like TAB. BIOT FORTE 10 mg once daily for long time. You may take vitamin E 400 mg once a day. Apply minoxidil 10% solution twice day on dry scalp. Shampoo with ketoconazole containing shampoo. Avoid stress and worries. I feel, you may get good result after 6 to 12 months...treatment. You may take treatment under observation of nearby dermatologist. I hope you got my answer. Still, any query, you may ask me. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Having hypothyroidism and diabetes and suffering from severe hair loss. What is the remedy? 23 minutes later
Can i undergo a PRP therapy ?

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: PRP is an emerging non surgical therapy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back.. Definitely, you may go for PRP therapy. PRP is an emerging non surgical based therapy for natural stimulation for thinning hair. Larger clinical studies are pending but the current medical literature contains numerous positive results. While individual results vary and no guarantees of success can be made, preliminary studies indicate many patients respond to PRP therapy. But you remember that PRP is not effective in some patients..like patients with history of heavy smoking, drug and alcohol use and patients having platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenias, hypofibrinogenaemia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and chronic Infections, chronic liver disease, anti-coagulation therapy, chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders. Along with PRP, you may use the drugs and solution as I suggested previously. Combination may exacerbate the good result. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD