Having hypothyroidism. Trying to lose weight. Suggest proper diet plan

hi, i am 23 year old girl having hypothyroidism. my hiet 152cm and weight is 83 kg. i want to loss my weight. i tried many diet and exercise but no results as i cannot continue further because of this physical state. so can you guide me to have a good meal plan and exercise etc that helps me to continue my weight loss program and get a desired result. can you provvide me a good diet plan which is effective in a hostel life and in home too. please provide a diet which has one day a month or week a non-veg meal. now tsh level is below -.1
please reply me.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query,

I have read your mail in detail. It is good to know than you want to lose weight, because obesity itself is a disease. It is a challenge for Thyroid patient to lose weight but not impossible. Let me suggest you some useful tips both to treat hypothyroidism and reduce weight.

Following a healthy, well-balanced diet is a great starting point for hypothyroidism patients who choose to lose weight.

1. Certain foods like carrots, spinach, olive oil, avocados, asparagus, whole-grain cereals, bananas and oily fish are helpful in improving thyroid functions and metabolism. When planning meals, be sure to regularly include these foods.
2. Foods that interfere with iodine uptake must be avoided. These are cabbage, broccoli, sweet potatoes, lima beans and soy products.
3. Cold drinks, sodas, etc., contain caffeine affects thyroid function, so they should be avoided.
4. Exercise for about 45 minutes per day is sufficient and helps in reducing weight and stress.
5. Stress is thought to be a contributing factor for people who develop hypothyroidism. Avoid stress as much as you can.
6. Finally it all just depends on how many calories you consume. It is the calories which results in weight gain. Take calories according to your weight (about 1900 calories per day). You can take non veg once in a week but make sure that you cannot increase the intake of calories per day and burn extra calories you take by extra exercise.

Hope this will help you. Write if you have any other query.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Having hypothyroidism. Trying to lose weight. Suggest proper diet plan 24 hours later
doctor thank you for your reply. can u suggest me how much hours can i sleep. a detailed diet chart and various exercises that i have to workout.please reply as soon as possible.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again for posting,

Regarding sleep usually 6-8 hours sound sleep is enough in a day. But make sure that your sleep is not interrupted or disturbed.

Now regarding detail diet chart, it depends on your taste and type of food you eat. I can give you an idea that which diet to follow and in what quantity. Our aim is that you only take that many calories which were needed by your body and it must contain all the nutrition. You can change fruits and vegetables according to your taste. A week plan you can follow is:
Day 1: Take only Fruits and Juices.
Day 2: Take Vegetables & Vegetables Soup. Vegetables may be boiled or can be taken raw with little salt & pepper. Do not fry the vegetables. Raw food includes all the nutritive contents that are needed by the human body.
Day 3: You can have non-Vegetables soups & Vegetable. Roasted Non-vegetables contain almost no fat. Do not exceed the amount of calories you needed.
Day 4: Bananas & milk. Bananas are the only fruits which contain readily available glucose required for our body.
Day 5: Have red tomatoes & sprouts. Sprouts are full of proteins. Tomatoes help in supplying the calcium content.
Day 6: Toasted bread with a XXXXXXX of butter & Soup made up of Sprouts.
Day 7: Baked or Boiled Vegetables and Red Polished Rice. SUGAR adds to your weight.     

You may also take help of a dietician or search on the net about the amount of calories and nutrition present in the food. Accordingly make up a diet for the day.

About your last query, brisk walking for about 45-60 minutes at a speed of five kilometres / hour is sufficient. No hard and difficult exercise is needed. It all depends on the amount of calories you lose.

Hope you got answer to all your queries. Write if you have other related query. Your rating and comments will be appreciated.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh