Having hypoglycemia, reflux problem, shortness of breath and nausea. Can I still become pregnant?

Mar 2013
Hi. I am 35 and my husband and I would like to start trying to get pregnant. My concerns are with my health and how pregnancy may complicate those health issues. I have hypoglycemia which I normally can balance fairly well with diet, though at times it can be tricky, but I also have a reflux problem that I have to take medication for every day because If not I have a extreme shortness of breath, nausea and difficulty eating (and low quality of life). In addition, I have a sensitivity to preservatives, dyes, many medications, etc. Am I crazy to think about having a baby with all of this going on? What advice can you give me based on my issues? Thank you so much - XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: PREGNANCY IS NOT CONTRAINDICATED. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX THanks for writing to us with your health concern. My advice to you is - you are not at all crazy to think about having a baby with all these issues. You just have to be mentally prepared for all the changes that would naturally occur. First thing is your age. At 35, the natural capacity for fertility is much less, than say, what it was , when you were 25. The capacity of the ovaries to form mature eggs declines. SO, if you have to make the choice, make it right now, putting it off for more time will lead to more difficulties later. The next factor is your hypoglycaemia. Pregnancy would worsen this condition, however, since you are managing well with diet, it is not an unsurmountable hurdle, as in concert with a proper Dietician, you can very well regulate your blood sugars. You would be expected to be much more vigilant and thorough in your monitoring and adherence to a diet plan. The reflux also would be expected to worsen with pregnancy. If you are fine on medication for this, then I would say that as long as you are prepared to be on medication ( maybe, even stronger medication ) - this too is not a contraindication to pregnancy. You are already on medication for reflux. What other medications are you sensitive to - could you provide a few names. Pregnancy would require few supplements - vitamins and minerals, and even those can be circumvented by a tailored diet. Sensitivity to preservatives and dyes would not come in the way of pregnancy, since your body and mind both are attuned to your allergies, and accordingly you must already be adjusted. Pregnancy would not cause any additional complications on this front. Based on your issues, my specific pointers - 1. Plan a pregnancy , if you are prepared for more vigilance, and stricter discipline. 2. Plan it sooner rather than later. 3. Plan it with a positive outlook, and no negativity. Women with far more serious health issues voluntarily embrace motherhood, with good results. You are not as morbid as you think. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.