Having hypoechoic nodule with cysts in thyroid gland. FNAC report showing enlarged thyroid and colloid nodule. Fatigue. What should I do?

Excellent

Question
I have a hypo echoic nodule with cystic areas in the right lobe of thyroid gland. It meassures 39 X 32 mm and the rest of the lobe is normal as per CT scan. FNAC reports shows enlargement of thyroid, colloid mixed blood aspirate and is commented as a colloid nodule. Blood tests reveal Total T3 as 2.010 nmol/L, TSH 1.24 mlU/mL and Total T4 91.4 nmol/L. Please advise what the next course of action should be. I dont feel any pain in the area but I have noticed that I feel tired most of the time and my physical fitness level has gone down for some reason. I used run 10K while now am barely able to complete half of that
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your thyroid function tests are normal. So your fatigue can't be attributed to abnormal functioning of the thyroid. A colloid nodule wouldn't be expected to cause tiredness. So your thyroid problem has nothing to with your symptoms.

As far management of the colloid nodule is concerned, management is simple and straight forward. The best course of action is to follow up the nodule with periodic Ultrasound scans at 6-12 month intervals. If it reduces in size or doesn't increase in size, it can be left alone. If it progressively increases in size during follow up, then repeat fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and if required, surgery can be considered. Thyroid function tests will also need to be done once in a year.

Colloid nodules are fairly common thyroid nodules and they are benign and usually don't cause any complications in most of the patients.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Having hypoechoic nodule with cysts in thyroid gland. FNAC report showing enlarged thyroid and colloid nodule. Fatigue. What should I do? 19 hours later
Should i be continuing to use eltroxin 100mcg as prescribed by my doctor. The medication has being prescribed for a period of 30 days. Please advise if I should be taking this medication. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Based on your reports, Eltroxin is not required. It will serve no purpose especially when given for a period of 1 month. There is no indication for eltroxin in your problem. As I mentioned, you only need regular ultrasound scans and thyroid function tests for follow up.
Hope this helps.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions.