Having huge alcohol sessions Feeling dizzy and having chest pain. Done with several tests. Had panic and anxiety attacks. Risk of heart attack?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor,

I am having huge alcohol sessions since last 9 months... Yesterday after i woke up i was feeling dizzy and chest pains here and there which comes and goes in seconds. Went out and got a BP Monitor and was monitering my BP since last 12 hours on an average its 150/100... I have done few tests which ruled out normal (EKG LFT LIPID and KREATENINE). In last october I had a knee surgery, at that time my BP was normal.. To add i have a history of panic and anxiety attacks.... Current situation: mild chest pains, BP is still at 145/98.... With a nurse sugestion near by my home had a 150mg of ecospirin.... I am obese... Am I going to have a heart attack? Will the BP come down if i take any precautions with out medication?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need proper medication for relief.

Detailed Answer:
The feeling of dizziness and chest pains with a persistent high blood pressure and obesity is a worrisome finding and is suggestive of a cardiac problem. Taking only ecosprin will not help you much. Only diet control and regular exercise will not be sufficient.
Hence you would benefit by consulting your primary doctor and getting evaluated with a few tests as mentioned below-

‎1. Complete blood counts
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial), HBAIC,
4. Thyroid function tests
5. Chem 14 panel

In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-

‎1. Holter monitor
2. Echocardiography
3. Chest Xray
4. Lung function tests
5. Tread mill test

It is important to find out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations for proper treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Having huge alcohol sessions Feeling dizzy and having chest pain. Done with several tests. Had panic and anxiety attacks. Risk of heart attack? 25 minutes later
Do I need them to be done immediately or can wait till i detoxify my body for a week stopping alcohol.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is best to get these done now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Detoxification for a week will not help you much. Since you are having a chest pain now, it is best to get yourself evaluated as soon as possible.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having huge alcohol sessions Feeling dizzy and having chest pain. Done with several tests. Had panic and anxiety attacks. Risk of heart attack? 3 hours later
Thank you very much sir, but i have lot of gas and i can clearly pin point the pain.. Its off and on... I read in one of the heart magazine that the pain which we can pinpoint might not be cardiac... As it has been already 24 hours since I had alcohol my current BP is 110/90....please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac cause cannot be ruled out like this.

Detailed Answer:
It is difficult to pin point the cause of chest pain without proper investigations. Cardiac cause must be ruled out if the pain is persistent.
It is good that your BP has come down. The diastolic BP is still on a higher side.
Do restrict your salt intake and consider doing a regular exercise after the pain subsides.
Regards.