Having hives from neck to scalp. On medication. No environmental or diet change. What is causing this?

I had hives yesterday that we're isolated to above my run cage going to neck and scalp. None were present on my lower body except my feet. Also they seemed to originate on my hands. I am an emergency room RN so went and was treated solumedrol, Benadryl, and Pepcid IV. Resolved in one hour. Today my hands are mottled, swollen with a burning sensation. This started in my fingers and has moved to just above my wrists. Have taken Benadryl, Pepcid, and prednisone po with no relief. I am puzzled as to what in the world is causing this. No environmental or diet changes and no recent insect bites.
Sorry that should be above my rib cage. Auto correct!
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 7 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

Based on the history i think it is contact dermatitis.

your symptoms are suggestive of contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches, such as: cosmetics, soaps, and detergents, dyes and other chemicals in clothing, rubber gloves, shampoos, antibiotics such as neomycin rubbed on the surface of the skin or any plants. In your case i think it might be seat in the hall or the cloths or the jacket.

Treatment includes washing with lots of water to remove any traces of the irritant that may remain on the skin. You should avoid further exposure to known irritants or allergens. In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area. I advice you not to scratch it as result in secondary infection.

Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. Overuse, even of low-strength over-the-counter products, may cause a skin condition should be used with caution.

You can also consider taking oral anti histamine which will be helpful. These drugs are available as over the counter medication.

I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it continues to occur, consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause. Insect bites is less likely.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.