Having hives. On methylpredisolone. Suggest

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have hives my Doctor put me on methylpredisolone.on Thurs. Today is my 4th day on meds.and I am not getting relief.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 35 minutes later
Hi and welcome to back. Thank you for your query.
it should be helpful if those hives are caused by allergic or autoimmune mechanism. usually the first drug which is administered is antihistamine so ask your doctor about this or ask for topical steroid creams.
Metilprednisolone usually give effect in 2 days but sometimes even 7 days are necessary depending on dosage. but if there is no effect after that time, you shouldn't take it anymore.Also you must be sure that you are not exposed to allergen that causes hives.
Wish you good health.regards
Follow-up: Having hives. On methylpredisolone. Suggest 42 minutes later
The pills are 4 mg. take 6 the first day then 5 the next and so on. Shouldn't I see some improvement? What would you suggest I do?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later
You should take this course of metilprednisolom till end. If there is no improvement you need to take some antihistamines. If this isn't helpful too you should do skin biopsy for right diagnosis. Regards