Having hip pain and took Tylenol. Having hard time in getting up. Treatment?

Nov 2013

I had what I called "hip" pain for about a year which varied with the amount of activity and rest I was getting. Rest helped. I used a lot of Tylenol and lived with it, thinking it would go away. My chiropractor also helped give short term relief. During the last 4 months the pain has become increasingly worse and now primarily sensed on my front left thigh, inside thigh, occasionally groin and occasionally knee. In the last 4 weeks it has become debilitating because it is extreme when I get up after sitting, even for short periods of time. The pain is so severe that I have a hard time getting up. Once I am able to pull or push myself into a standing position, I slowly move my leg and foot in various directions and then the pain will stop suddenly and I can walk. I am A 57 year old male. I am quite overweight, but blood tests for diabetes, prostrate, and cholesterol are all fine.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of pain, and the difficulties you face in terms of movements and walking.

Treatment so far has gone alright, but they have been mainly for the relief of symptoms, and no specific diagnosis has been made. You would agree that for long term relief and prevention of any complication, an accurate diagnosis is required.

The most likely cause in your case could be a pinched nerve at the back or in the groin region. MRI of the lumbar spine and nerve conduction studies including femoral nerve conductions would help in confirming the diagnosis. A neurologist consultation would be required for these.

The chance of this being due to a hip problem is less, as in a hip joint problem, the pain would persist with movement, and would stop only when resting.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist