Having high levels of good and bad cholesterol. What must I do to reduce levels?

having high Cholesterol both bad and good (>260), what needs to take care and advise me to reduce
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would be able to provide you with a better answer if you could let me know your Blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels in detail as well as your height and weight. The normal range for good cholesterol (HDL cholesterol) is less than 40mg/dL and for bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) the desirable range is less than 100 mg/dL.

In addition to Tonact tablet on which you are currently on, you may want to bring in lifestyle changes to bring down the cholesterol levels within desirable range:

- Exercise regularly for an hour for 5 days a week. This should include brisk walking. This will bring down the cholesterol levels radically.
- Nuts, Whole grains, Vegetables have great property to reduce the cholesterol by 3 to 5%.
- Avoid high calorie, junk and fatty foods. Limit saturated fat intake like ghee, butter, dalda and vanaspati.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
- Eat heart healthy fish like salmon which is XXXXXXX in Omega 3 fatty acids which is good for your heart.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking if you do.
- Stick to your treatment and schedule regular follow-up visits to your Doctor.

Hope this answers your query.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.