Having high fever at night and low fever in morning. Is this a bad sinus infection?

Sep 2012

I began feeling bad two days ago. Last night I checked my temp and it was 101.3. By 1am it went up to 103.1. This morning when I woke up it was 99.8. Seems like it's all over the place. I do think this is a bad sinus infection. Should I seek medical help today
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have one episode of fever of 103.1 and bad feeling for 2 days. It may occur from infections. Now, the area of infection should be searched for. That means, if you have any respiratory abnormality like sneezing, coughing, breathing problem, then most probably you have infection in respiratory tract. If you have any symptoms like headache which is increasing during bending forward then most probably, you have a sinus infection.

For a confirmed diagnosis of the situation, you have to consult with a general physician or ENT specialist for a detailed clinical examination. If required a complete blood count should be done to look for increased WBC count. If no abnormality seen in respiratory tract then you have to do a routine urine examination for search of source of infection.

But, now, you have to take a paracetamol group of drug to lower the fever. If clinically it is found to be an infection, then broad spectrum antibiotics should be considered.

So, first of all, just consult with a general physician or ENT specialist for clinical examination. You need it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.