Having high cholesterol level. Results show cholesterol, Total, Serum: 255 mg/dL. Suggest

last month i have performed a regular blood test and found my cholesterol level high, i started a diet avoiding fatty and junk food and started to eat healthy food. after one month i did the same test again with good improvement (roughly i decreased Cholesterol to better measures). my concern is the Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT/GPT), Serum which reads: 1.04 ukat/L (62 u/l). last month ALT was 1.0 ukat/L. I have check online for some answers but i would love to hear expert opinion.

Full Results (after diet):
Cholesterol, Total, Serum: 255 mg/dL (was 280 previous month)
Triglycerides, Serum: 185 mg/dL (was 211 previous month)
(HDL) Cholesterol, Serum: 44 mg/dL (was 40 previous month)
Cholesterol / HDL Ratio: 6.0 Ratio (was 6.6 previous month)
(LDL) Cholesterol, Serum: 174 mg/dL (was 196 previous month)
Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT/GPT), Serum: 62 U/L (1.04 ukat/L) (was 60 (1.0) previous month)
From the results, it seems i am going the right way with my diet except ALT level which is still the same (high). can you please explain this to me, and what could cause this?

Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query,

Thanks for the query,

As you have said that you are 35 years of age, having mildly deranged lipid profile, you did dieting, with increase in your ALT (mildly)

First of all I would say your first test of cholesterol of 280, (Triglycerides)Tgs 211 show only mild derangement of your lipid profile

With mildly raised cholesterol, TGs following are your plausible causes

1. Wrong timing interval between your nighttime dinner and testing time (usually 9 hrs of fasting required to get accurate test)

2. You probably have mild obesity that has caused mild elevation in your lipid profile

It is a very good sign that you have managed to decrease all the parameter of lipid profile with just dieting.

Second part of your question is mildly increase in Alt (62) from already elevated Alt(60)

Before dieting your Alt was 60(because of fatty liver due to obesity + high cholesterol and TGs)...Get an ultrasound liver to confirm.

Rapid Loss of weight by dieting is a cause of raised Alt(62).

In both the way Alt of 60-62 is of no problem at all, if all the other parameters like ALP, BILIRUBIN is normal.

I have tried to explain your query, hope this helps, I will be happy to answer your follow up questions.