Having high cholesterol level. Can I have 50ml of whiskey daily?

My cholesterol level is high can I have 50ml of wiskey daily
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 5 hours later

50 ml of wiskey daily will not damage your cholesterol level, there are even a few studies which have found that alcohol in moderation can also lower cholesterol and heart disease risk if taken in moderation.

However, you should be very careful, because alcohol if taken chronically can actually cause addiction, liver disease, increase your risk for heart disease and stroke, raise blood pressure, contribute to obesity, and increase the levels of fats called triglycerides in the blood.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Please do not drink whiskey on a daily basis ,thinking that you can reduce your cholesterol levels. It might lead to excessive alcohol consumption.

You could try the following:

1. Regular exercise like brisk walking etc. 30-45 minutes a day for 5 days a week.
2. Sign up for relaxation or meditation classes
3. Avoid XXXXXXX fried, oily food, fresh cream,etc.
4. Use skimmed / low fat milk.
5. Avoid butter, preferably use olive oil in your cooking. You could add 1tsp of olive oil in salads .
5.Have plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
6.Avoid red meat and egg yolks. You can have egg whites, chicken occassionally after the fat of chicken is removed.
7.You could have more of fish especially salmon which is XXXXXXX in omega 3 fatty acids and helps in cutting down cholesterol. 2-3 walnuts , XXXXXXX tea etc daily is good for lowering cholesterol.
8.If you are a smoker, try to quit smoking.
9. Finally , medications may have to be used to lower cholesterol along with the above mentioned measures. Kindly visit your physician who will be able to prescribe the medicines if necessary after a thorough evaluation. Also , please check your blood pressure, fasting and post prandial blood sugars, and a baseline ECG. If you are overweight try to reduce your weight through exercise and dietary modifications.

Hope I have answered your question .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan