Having high cholesterol and pre-hypertensive. Not on any prescribed medication. Advice

Doctor, I am a 54 y/o man, my father died of cancer and my mother was hypertensive. I exercise frequently although that has fallen off somewhat as I can no longer run due to knee problems. BMI shows me to be unhealthy, blood shows high cholesterol and now BP shows I am pre-hypertensive. When I read articles on the net about these conditions, they state constantly...EXERCISE. I think to myself...I DO, I DO! Yet this does not seem to be working in my case. I am not on any prescribed meds, do I now need to consider such things or double my efforts to control via diet and exercise? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes sir, you need to make serious changes

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Well, to start off with, if you are pre-obese, pre-hypertensive and have mildly high choelsterol, the following would be advised:
-Increased physical activity
-TLC diet (therapeutic lifestyle change diet)

Early hypertensives are advised lifestyle changes, but not medications. Similarly with mildly elevated cholesterol and pre-obese category of BMI. Medications for all these categories are avoided.

So the answer to your query would be yes, sir. I would request you to consult a nutritionist and a dietitian, and keep them in the loop about everything. They will advise a diet which you will have to follow strictly. Include at least 1-2 hours of exercise in a day and if you have a desk job, do not remain seated for long duration's. Keep leaving your desk for short walks around the office.

Take this more seriously this time sir, you are in the warning stage, things can and will get worse if you do not buckle up now. I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.