Having high cholesterol and experiencing weakness in legs. Suggest medication to control other then Statin?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Dr. Basheer replied that statins can cause weakness in the legs when I asked about my brother's condition of having high cholesterol and also experiencing weakness in his legs, especially in the morning. Is there ANYTHING he can take besides a statin which will help him control high cholesterol?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for your question.
Muscle weakness is a recognised side-effect of statins and it is due to the effect on the nerves. You do not mention which statin or what dose your brother is taking. As there is very good evidence that statins reduce the risk of heart attacks, your brother should not stop taking the statin without first consulting with his doctor.
I have a few suggestions for you to consider.
It may be worth discussing with the doctor the possibility of stopping the statin for 10-14 days to confirm that the muscle weakness is due to the statin. The weakness, if related to the statin, may improve during this break.
Your doctor could consider reducing the dose as this may help.
Trying another statin may help.
Other methods of reducing cholesterol could be considered. Ezetimibe is a cholesterol absorption inhibitor which reduces cholesterol which does not have the same side-effects.
Lifestyle activities which reduce cholesterol include maintaining a healthy and balanced diet. Also regular exercise, reducing alcohol intake and stopping smoking will help reduce cholesterol.
I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger