Having high blood sugar level, cramping hand and slurred speech. Took humulog. Any thoughts?

my son in laws blood sugar was 435 he is having extreme hand cramping and not feeling well at all. He worked outside all day and drank a lot of water and did not eat. he came home and took 35 units of humulog after finding out what his blood sugar was. He is also having some slurred speech.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Let me warn you that a diabetic person should not omit his meals especially for long hours as he cannot maintain his blood sugar levels due to lack of insulin.
I suggest you should take him immediately to an Emergency Room ( hospital ), as he may be suffering from some serious and potentially fatal diabetic complications. He surely needs urgent treatment.
In the hospital his blood & urine tests will be performed & every effort will be made to stabilize his condition by giving intravenous treatment which is not possible at home.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you have any other question.
Hope he gets well soon.
Best Regard.