Having high blood pressure and anxiety. Pain in left hand and sore neck. Medical cure for this?

Excellent

Question
I have been having a sharp pain in my left hand, on my pinky side for the past 2 days. I also have a really sore neck and left shoulder... I am 30 yo, male. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
relevant causes to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query with diligence. In view of your medical history of high blood pressure and anxiety, I would suggest you to undergo an ECG (Electrocardiogram) to make sure that your heart is not the cause for your pain. If the ECG is normal, you need not worry at all.

In such a case, muscle sprain would be most likely cause, as you also have sore neck and left shoulder.

Do have any breathing difficulty along with excess sweating and apprehension?

The third possibility could be due to anxiety as well.

Whatever be the cause, please get an ECG done. Drink plenty of water, rest well, stay away from stress and anxiety. Do deep breathing exercises.

Let me know if the ECG is normal, I shall suggest further management plan then.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Having high blood pressure and anxiety. Pain in left hand and sore neck. Medical cure for this? 15 minutes later
My heart rate is only 86BPM which is normal for me? Couldn't it be muscles? Or because I'm very tight in my shoulder and neck, could it be that? No breathing difficulty nor sweating. Feel totally fine, and it goes away when I rest the arm...

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
then it is mostly the muscles

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.

Your heart rate at 86 is normal. Yes, it is mostly the muscles. Yes, the tight muscles in your shoulder and neck are possible causes too for this.

I am glad you do not have breathing difficulty or sweating, and feel totally fine.

In such a case, I would suggest you to take simple analgesics like Motrin twice a day for a couple of days. Rest your arm well.

In addition, there is no harm in getting an ECG done.

regards,

Follow-up: Having high blood pressure and anxiety. Pain in left hand and sore neck. Medical cure for this? 1 minute later
Thank you, I will go for a doctor check up next week and request an ECG while there.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sure, take care

Detailed Answer:

Glad to know that. Please follow my earlier suggestions as well.

Wish you good health.