Having high blood pressure. Not cured by medicine. What to do?

i am taking ramipril and amlodopine for high blood pressure,but when i go to the surgery too have it checked it nearly always seems to be high,i excersise and eat properly,chloesterol is 4.3.and all other tests are ok,i am 63 years old and wondering if that may be the problem.i dont feel that i am under any sort of stress as i took early retirement and im doing what i please,i have had high b.p since i was 44 years old and have a chage of medication of anteolol,benroflaumacide...water tablets...which gave me gout so had to stop taking them.also is it XXXXXXX to have a sauna or the hot steam room if having high b.p.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 55 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern and your query. Could you please tell me the average value of your blood pressure reading? When you say it was 'high', what were the values you were looking at?
Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having high blood pressure. Not cured by medicine. What to do? 5 hours later
on average whe i go to the surgery for b.p.check up,it is normally between 148 over 89 and 159 over 93.i took my own reading yesterday and it read 134 over 93.thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later

Thanks for the reply

134/93 is beautiful control of blood pressure. There are few guidelines to keep in mind while checking the blood pressure

1. The cuff should fit snugly.Not too tight or lose
2. The patient should have smoked, climbed stairs, drank coffee, walked for long distances before checking of blood pressure
3. He should not be under stress
4. It can be checked either in sleeping or sitting position

I would like to add here that you are on good drugs to control blood pressure and also slight variation in blood pressure during the day is entirely normal.
The ideal thing to do is to check your blood pressure at one single time everyday when you are most relaxed.
I dont think you require additional drugs to control blood pressure at this point

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further ones please accept my answer

I wish you good health
Follow-up: Having high blood pressure. Not cured by medicine. What to do? 7 hours later
thanks for your answer,i think i get to hypped up before i go to have my b.p checked hoping that it will be near normal as possible,only one more query on the subject of b.pi went recently to a sauna steam room and on the notice on the door,it stated that if anyone suffers with b.p.and is still taking medication for it,that you should not use it,so i did not go in and after wasting my money on it,i was wondering if they were being over cautious or are they right.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

It is true that sauna and steam are relatively contraindicated in hypertensives. However you could enjoy it for a short while if your hypertension is under good control. Make sure you don't become breathless or develop chest pain while in it.

Thank you