Having hernia. Having cough due to blockage in throat and phlegm. Suffering from bad breath. Is it related?

ENT Specialist
hello I know I have a hernia--have had a Barium X XXXXXXX and it showed up. however that happened in 1993 or thereabouts. Last Summer --i.e. one year ago, I began to have times when I couldn't sleep well without extra pillows and this has continued with the addition of a cough which is caused by the feeling of a blockage somewhere at the back of my throat. There seems to be some phlegm also . This cough was much worse earlier this year but seems now to be reducing. I have stopped eating late at night when I can and have lost weight though I was never very large in any case.
I also suffer from bad breath which really embarrasses me.
Is this all related to the diaphragmmatic hernia?.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Re-investigate Hernia, GERD, PND, bad breath cause

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Since the diaphragmatic hernia has been detected very long ago, and since ou have managed so long without treatment, it must have been a sliding type of hiatus hernia.

2. You will need to re-investigate the hernia which is seen in more than 30% of cases of GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease).

3. You must also rule out a PND (Post Nasal Drip) which is a common cause of phlegm and cough. You should get a videolaryngosocpy done and repeat a barium swallow or endoscopy as you have a feeling of blockage at the back of your throat.

4. Bad breath may be related to a number of causes: Dehydration, decreased salivary flow, dental and gum infections, PND, sinusitis, fungal infections, acid reflux and lung problems.

5. You may follow up with the reports at

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Having hernia. Having cough due to blockage in throat and phlegm. Suffering from bad breath. Is it related? 10 hours later
Thank you. I will see my doctor when I get back to Lagos and ask for these procedures as suggested.

L halstead
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thank You

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

You may follow up with the results of the investigations.

Wishing you a good health,