Having hepatitis c with chronic compensated cirrhosis. Platelet count is low. Proper treatment?

I'm 58 yr male physician now being treated for chronic hepatitis c. I'm halfway through the 48 week program, and the virus is now undetectable. My liver condition is described as 'chronic compensated cirrhosis'. MELD score is low. Bili, albumin and INR are normal, but platelet counts continue to be low. Following treatment, is there any possibility of returning to work in the OR or perform anesthesia at all?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Thanks for the query posted .
I would be pleased to assist you with your query posted .

I have seen a number of cases of Chronic Hepatitis with a resulting compensated cirrhosis . The weakness does come back with physical and emotional stress of work .

You would not be able to get to work till your Platelet counts increase .

A good amount of rest , intake of Vitamin E and dietary modification would help. You should also be positive that with this rest and the regular diet you would slowly see a rise in your Platelet count as the Liver function improves by a compensation method . Avoid smoking , alcohol and fatty fried foods.

Regular liver enzyme monitoring and regular scan of the liver to check for the improvement is a must .
Thanks and take care