Having hemorrhoid. Can feel the pain and hemorrhoid when cough. Looks bluish purple in color. How do I prevent the pain?

Feb 2013

I have an XXXXXXX hemorrhoid that I did not discover until about 3 days ago. I discovered it when showering. I have had bronchitis and for the past week or so every time I cough I urinate on myself a little...sometimes allot, so much that I have to change. I am only 28 and I have never had children so I know this is not typical. Now, every time I cough I can feel the hemorrhoid. It feels like pressure, but it has not bled yet. Currently it is bluish purple. I am not able to really see how big it is, it seems as if there may be more than one. Is there anything I can do to prevent the pain when coughing? I am working on the urinating issue, I know I need to do kegals and I am trying to regularly empty my bladder.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With your description, I can understand your concerns about the following issues.

1 XXXXXXX hemorrhoids, size, number.

2.Urination while coughing

Do you have any history of constipation?

Because some times constipation leads to formation of fissure in anus which may have skin tag at the start of fissure which may be visible outside. It is called sentinel pile or hemorrhoid. But truly speaking it is not hemorrhoid.

Hemorrhoids present in two layers, XXXXXXX and external. External will be palpable, but presence XXXXXXX hemorrhoids needs physical examination by the doctor.

The sentinel pile has to be differentiated from hemorrhoids.

The prevention of pain while coughing is to control the cough with drugs.

So I advise you to consult the doctor for local examination to know whether it is sentinel skin tag with fissure, the size and number of lesions.

Coming to the second problem, it is known as stress incontinence.

In stress incontinence, urine comes out involuntarily during physical activity such as coughing, sneezing, laughing, or exercise.

For this problem you can follow these:

1.Drink less fluid.

2.Continue to empty the bladder regularly

3.Avoid jumping and running.

4.Avoid alcohol, smoking, and drinking of caffeinated drinks (if you have any of these).

5.Losing weight if you are overweight.

6.Pelvic floor exercises (Kegel exercise)-these will keep urethral sphincter strong and work properly.

7.Control and treatment of underlying bronchitis with appropriate medication to control the cough.

Some medications are available which can be given in stress incontinence of urine, if the above measures are not helpful.

Therefore I advise you to consult the doctor for physical examination and for the advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.