Having hemiplegic migraine. Taking Divaa OD and gabapin daily. How long should I take the medication? Is weight gain related?

Dec 2014

My Neurologist says that I have hemiplegic migraine . I have had 3 outs in April this year and had 2 bouts in September last year as well as 1-2 bouts in sept 2011. Divaa OD 500 twice daily. along with 2 tabs each of Gabapin 300 twice daily. I have been on medication for 10 months now. I have also put on weight.
I want to know how long will I have to continue taking these medicines and whether my weight gain has anything to do with my medicine intake.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of medicines

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Hemiplegic migraine is a form of migraine headache and Valproate (Divaa OD) is one of main stay of treatment. You are taking this drug for about 10 months along with Gabapentin. You had last attack about 4-5 months back. As per my opinion you should continue to take these drugs for about 2 months more. Usually after 5-6 months of symptom free period is sufficient to discontinue the drug.

These both drugs are known to cause weight gain as side effects and with Valproate its very common. Increase your daily activities and consult your doctor for proper tapering the doses of drugs. Other drugs that can be used for prophylaxis include beta blockers as Propranolol. The drug is comparatively free of serious side effects.

Hope I cleared your doubt, Thanks