Having heavy vaginal discharge.Had Strep, UTI. Tested for BV, yeast, HSV, Chlamydia, Gonnorhea. Treatment?

A few months ago I had a Group B Strep UTI which was treated with antibiotics and my urine has been clean since. But since then, I've been dealing with a clear and at times, heavy vaginal discharge.

There were times I felt swollen, irritated and had a slight tickle/itch inside on the back wall of my vagina, but sex has never been uncomfortable and I'm no longer irritated.

My gyno said the discharge that he took from inside looked like yeast (again) but tested me for BV, yeast, HSV, Trich, Chlamydia, Gonnorhea (all neg. AGAIN). He then sent me to a urologist. The urologist figured my urine would come back positive again for GBS (negative) because of my history with the UTI so he prescribed Augmentin for 14 days. The odor and irritation went away immediately but I still have this heavy, sometimes milky, non-odorous discharge. Occasionally it's almost rubbery in consistency. I also have an ache that I felt a lot in the beginning but rarely now inside my vagina on the sides and it radiates into my inner thighs. Sometimes after I urinate I notice white clumps in the toilet.

Is it possible that GBS has colonized in my vagina because it was in my urine? Is there a specific test for GBS? Would the "Monster" test, as my Gyno calls it, pick up GBS or is it a different test?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Colonization of the vagina is possible with the bacteria since you suffered a urinary infection. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina or rectum of 25% of all healthy adult women even without any symptoms. Group B streptococcal infection can be diagnosed best through a local swab taken before any anti-bacterial substance is applied to the area for lubrication during an examination. This is the so-called 'Monster test'. A vaginal swab and a rectal swab together with a pelvic ultrasound should diagnose the organism.

As the hormonal status of the body starts declining as one enters the perimenopausal years, infections of the genital and urinary tract become frequent due to the increasing dryness of the local parts and the declining epithelial thickness. The discharge could also be related to your menstrual cycle apart from the infection. I think you should have an exploration of your urinary tract for any other focus of infection and to locate the cause of the white clumps in the urine. You should also have a renal function test performed as well as blood sugar measurement.

Vaginal discharges depend on the pelvic blood flow to some extent; when the pelvic area is congested the secretions are more and when the blood flow decreases the secretions decline. This variation in the pelvic blood flow can occur with prolonged sitting or standing posture, just before periods and during periods and whenever there is an infection.

Thick vaginal discharge can also occur due to estrogen secretion. Apart from the infection, you should also rule out cervical lesions. A colposcopy and a pap smear would be helpful. Lastly, you may have a hormonal profile to rule out hormonal causes for the discharge.

Group B streptococcal infection is highly responsive to medication; as such, it is ideal to have a regular monitoring with periodical antibiotic coverage whenever needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.