Having heavy period, abdominal pain, back pain. Ultrasound showed black dots on uterus. Cancer?

Mar 2013
HI, I just got back from having an ultrasound and there were two large black dots on my uterus. She was taking a lot of pictures of them and measuring them. NO I am not pregnant as I have had an eblation and tubes sniped 5 years ago. I'm a little freaked out as I am having a heavy period, lower abdomen, back cramping in the last 3 weeks, diarrhea off and on. Could those black spots be cancer? My grandmother passed from Ovarian cancer. I just want to be a little prepared as of course I'm suspecting it as I have a gut feeling thats what it may be.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 47 minutes later
It appears as if you are suffering from one of the following possibilities :
1. Uterine fibroids - These are mostly benign tumours, that lead to heavy bleeding and cramping.
2. Endometrial hyperplasia / polyps - This is thickening of the lining of the uterus that presents with a similar picture.
3. Adenomyosis - Generalized thickening of the walls of the uterus.

In all these 3 conditions, there is heavy menstrual bleeding etc.
Cancer cannot be diagnosed based on ultrasound.
The conditions can be given a trial of medical management, following which if you dont respond, surgery would be required.

Fibroids can be removed and sent for biopsy to rule out cancer.
For adenomyosis, the uterus is removed and sent for biopsy.
For endometrial hyperplasia, generally a D and C is done ( tissue from inside uterus is removed ) and sent for biopsy to rule out cancer.

Please do not worry as dots INSIDE the uterus cannot point to ovarian cancer at least.
I think you are unnecessarily panicking.

Please mail me or attach the detailed ultrasound report so I can further guide you and reassure you.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having heavy period, abdominal pain, back pain. Ultrasound showed black dots on uterus. Cancer? 34 minutes later
Thats very helpful!! I feel much better, thanks!
I can't get the ultrasound report from Dr. yet? as I have a follow-up with her Thursday.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Thats okay dear.
Am here to guide you and reassure you.
Please dont fail to get back to me with the exact ultrasound report.
I would definitely give you more specific advice and pointers then.
Till then , please relax and take care.
Be well.
All the best.