Having heavy painful periods. Had fibroids and uterus is swollen. Advised to do abdominal hysterectomy. Correct?

I am 45 years old and I have heavy painful peroids every 2 weeks lasting 10 days and breakthrough in between, I was told I had fibriods and my uterus is swollen. I am seeing a older doctor 63 and he wants to do a abdominal hysterectomy, I think he is old fashion and I want a laproscopic what should I do. Do I need a abdominal for fibroids or can I go with a less painful surgery
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
It does seem that you do need an hystrectomy. But the type of hystrectomy will depend on your clinical condition. If the uterus is very large and distorted then sometimes,laproscopic surgery isnt possible. Also if you have had previous surgery or ceasarean sections,then laproscopic surgery will be difficult. Thirdly, the correct lap instruments should be available for best possible surgery. In lap surgery,case selection is very important. If difficulties arise, then complications can also arise. You should discuss with your doctor, as to why he recommends abdominal surgery.