Having heavy bleeding after menopause. Transvaginal ultrasound shows fibroid uterus. What does this mean?

impression of pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound shows fibroid uterus and the endometrium is borderline thickened for a post menopausal patient. I am 56 yrs old and had no period for almost 2 yrs. what does this all mean? sorry I forgot to mention that I had heavy bleeding for 5 days two weeks ago, I had an biopsy of my uterus and waiting for the results. I have to go for another ultrasound in 6 weeks and waiting for an appointment with a specialist.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Endometrial cancer is a possibility Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Bleeding 2 yrs after menopause is suspicious for endometrial cancer though benign causes are also possible. The endometrium is also borderline thickened. Hence, rightly you have undergone a biopsy. I am afraid we have to wait for the results. Fortunately endometrial cancer is usually detected in early stages and often curable. Please let me know the biopsy result when it is available. Then I can guide you better. Regards