Having heart palpitations and numbness in fingers, lower legs. Reasons ?

I'm having heart palpitations and numbness is my fingers and lower legs and feet.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for your query. Numbness in the legs, feet and hands points towards a possibility of irritated nerves supplying that area. This can be due to spinal nerves which can cause burning sensation or numbness/ tingling in that area.

The other possibility from your history of high BP is of peripheral vascular disease. High cholesterol is responsible for causing plaques in the blood vessels which may impair blood flow especially to the extremities causing a burning sensation in that area.

This is a very important possibility to be explored given your age and history of high BP. You should immediately consult a physician and preferably get an EKG, ECHO and a color Doppler of the vessels of legs done.

Third possibility is of diabetes. So get your blood sugar levels checked to rule out any diabetes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.