Having heart palpitation. Have thyroid and low bp. What can be done?

Question
I do have half a thyroid and my doctors has increased my med to twice a day thyroid extract 98.7 because by tsh is high but I do have heart palpitations not all day but often and I still have hot flushes all day, feeling tired and a bit shaky and the brain is just not working, not getting enough sleep my partner and myself are going overseas soon and I just want to feel better. Just walking up stairs I am puffed. I have low blood pressure. What do I do I am sick of the thyroid I have blood tests every 3 months the last one was not good but the one before was normal, but I had run out of tables so I had missed 3 days when the blood was taken.Thanks for your help
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in. Hypothyroidism is a chronic lifelong issue and in some patients can be troublesome like in you. Not all of them can be resolved by thyroid extract alone. Some of them do need specific medicines depending on the underlying cause. Im afraid we need to look beyond thyroid and get more tests to see if any other obvious problem does exist. I wish I had the following reports - complete blood count, serum electrolytes, blood glucose, liver and renal function tests. You also need a complete cardiac evaluation and I feel you need to see a psychiatrist because I feel you are depressed. You need to be regular on thyroid medications come what may. Also take calcium, vitamin D, B 12 and multivitamin supplementation. Try yoga - it can work wonders. Think positively. Most patients with hypothyroidism have a relatively normal life. I wish you get back to normal state ASAP.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad