Having heart burn & stomach burn. Advise

am having heart burn & stomach burn
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later

Thanks for the query. You mentioned that you were treated for ulcer 4 years ago. You probably had a duodenal ulcer, I am guessing because of your young age. At the time of diagnosis, I hope they also
tested you for H.Pylori bacteria and treated you for that if it was present. H.Pylori can come back in some cases and cause inflammation of the stomach called "Chronic Gastritis".

Now, your symptoms of heartburn is suggestive of GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease due to acid sensitivity and reflux into the lower part of the esophagus. You mentioned that currently you are taking Gelucil which is an antacid and at best works for a short time, neutralizing the acid.
The effect does not last unless you take it every 2-4 hours ! The next alternative is H-2 Blockers such as Cimetidine, Ranitidine etc. These are effective in controlling acid about 60%. The most effective treatment is PPI drugs such as Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Rabeprazole or Esomeprazole. These drugs are very effective from 80-90% in controlling acid production. You should try these once or twice a day and making sure you take the drug one hour before your main meal. please get a prescription for these from a general practitioner.

If spicy foods,caffeine, dairy products like milk, cheese etc make your symptoms worse, try to cut back on those. Try not to eat within two hours before you go to bed. Take the medications
for 4-6 weeks and if the symptoms persist, you need to see a gastroenterologist for further workup which may include x-ray and/or endoscopy.

I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Having heart burn & stomach burn. Advise 13 hours later
Thanks doctor for your kind reply. What will be the best food to eat ?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 7 hours later

Good to hear from you again. Mostly bland type of foods. Avoid excess spice and coffee or tea. Also cut back on fried foods. Bananas, apples, pears, papaya are O.K. to eat. You can have Rice, wheat (Cereals), Spinach, but avoid tomato.

Hope this gives you a little guideline.
Wish you well.
Follow-up: Having heart burn & stomach burn. Advise 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. When am having the stomach burning sensation right,Do i have to eat something? If so, what is good to eat at the time..
Can i have Grapes and Pomegranate?
Can i have Mucaine gel? and also Omeprazole 1 hr before breakfast. Will this helps in recovering from my problem?

If you take the Omeprazole one hour before meals, you
may not need anything else. But if you still need to take
a couple of teaspoons of Mucainegel or gelusil it is O.K.

You can have pomegranate juice not the seeds. Red grapes
are fine also.

Wish you the best.
Follow-up: Having heart burn & stomach burn. Advise 58 minutes later
Thanks for your kind reply...I need to have the tablet, 1 hr before every meals (i.e. 3 tabs a day)?
For how long should i need to take the Omez tablet?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
For most people one or two Omez tablets daily
is enough to control symptoms.Take one before lunch
and one before your evening meal.

The duration of treatment varies. Generally most doctors prefer to give it for a couple of weeks. Your local Physician would be the best judge.

Hope that answers your question.
Have a nice day.