Having hearing problem and ringing ear. Diagnosed with weak ear nerve. Safe to take bilovas and vertin?

ENT Specialist
Question
sir, I am having hearing problem in right ear. This ear keep on ringing. In case I have to attend a call on phone ear starts aching.Dr. says ear nerve has become weak. He has presribed Tab.Bilovas & Tab.vertin*16.Kindly tell whether these medicines are helpful in curing hearing problem. Alternatively advice me as to what medicines I may take. I am 62 years old.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) to document any hearing loss especially since your problem is more on the right side.

2. Get a Tympanogram done to check middle ear pressures and Eustachian Tube function.

3. Do you have dizziness? Vertin is given mainly for dizziness and Meniere's Disease in particular. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba (Bilovas), multivitamins and antioxidants.

4. If Bilovas does not control your Tinnitus and your middle ear is normal (no eustachian dysfunction), then you may try Steroids (oral or transtympanic and Caroverine (Tinnex) injectable or capsules.

5. It is also important to consult a neurologist to rule out neurological degenerations that can cause such symptoms. (MRI scans may not be enough to pick these conditions).

6. I must emphasize that there is no cure for Tinnitus. It may only be reduced and controlled by medication in about 50% of cases. You may share the results of your investigations here for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having hearing problem and ringing ear. Diagnosed with weak ear nerve. Safe to take bilovas and vertin? 12 hours later
sir,thanks for ur detailed reply.kindly intimate with which medicine and for how much period that I should take to control/reduce problem of Tinnitus. Being a layman I could not understand at to what is meaning of'Neurological degeneration" with reference to my tinnitus problem.where from PTAand Tympanogram tests can be got done.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You may consult Dr. Ramandeep S. Virk, Assistant Professor in ENT at PGIMER Chandigarh.

2. I must emphasize that you should only take medicines under the supervision of a doctor.

Regards.