Having hearing loss. Having numbness in ear and neck. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Left ear hearing loss, have been losing hearing for years but two weeks ago it got much worse all at once,
numbness under left ear on neck, around left side of mouth and eye, no headaches or dizzyness. Thanks
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This may be treated as a Sudden Sensori-Neural Hearing Loss if the deterioration is more than 20 dB in three contiguous frequencies.

2. If you can attach the latest and any previous Audiograms, it will be be possible to plan the treatment and rule out any conductive hearing loss which will have a different line of treatment.

3. The numbness indicates a Trigeminal Nerve involvement. This will require an MRI and a CT Temporal Bone Study.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.