Having headaches, stiff neck, sinus pain on cheeks and forehead. On hormone pill for anxiety and eltroxin. Suggest?

Good day

I am a woman, 42 years old and has a highly stressful job.
The last 2 months was extremely busy and I worked average 15 hours a day non- stop, 7 days a week.
I have these headaches on the top of my head, my neck is stiff and my back is full of tense musles.
I also have blocked ears and sinus pains on my cheeks and forehead and my eyes are strained.
I use anxiety meds as I do get anxiety and I am on a hormone pill.
I also use a thyroid medication- Eltroxin.
I feel severely stressed and feel very tired, obviously EXPECTED.
I need a quik- fix in terms of I cannot take of currently of business as it is in a sensitive stage and I need to cope under circumstances.
Could you please let me know what I can do to cope?
Thank You,
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 53 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     42 year old female
•     Known case of anxiety disorder, hormonal imbalance and hypothyroidism on treatment.
•     Currently having excessive work related stressful lifestyle.
•     Complaints of: severe stress, tiredness, headache, neck stiffness and tense back muscles.

You are having multiple anxiety and stress related symptoms. Anxiety and stress can manifest with not only psychological symptoms but with a variety of physical symptoms also like: Tingling, numbness, muscle spasm (which lead to headache, body-ache and stiff muscles), tremors (shakiness) etc.

Presence of preexisting anxiety disorder, hormonal imbalance and hypothyroidism increases chances of developing such symptoms.

I can understand your concern related to busy schedule and time, but effective treatment will increase your productivity.

Following steps are helpful in your case:
-Relaxation exercise like daily brisk walk, yoga and breathing exercise
-Review of anti anxiety treatment as doses may need alteration considering current symptoms.
-Get thyroid function test done, as change in thyroid hormone level increases anxiety.
-If possible get break from work and spend time some pleasurable activities.
-Check your posture while working, as sitting in same posture for prolong time can also lead to muscle spasm. In such case sort course muscle relaxant will be helpful.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.