Having headaches and sensitivity to light. Suggest treatment

Thank you for your response. I have the major headaches and considerable light blindness
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Migraine Headache. Take Triptans. Avoid triggers. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Headache and Photophobia ( sensitivity to light ) is very common in Migraine patients. It may also be due to few common conditions like meningitis and encephalitis (inflammation of meniges ( layers covering the brain and spinal cord ) and brain). But this is associated with fever and other neurological symptoms. In migraine patients, Headache and migraine is most commonly triggered by hormonal changes, food and other environmental changes. Please do the following procedures to rule out the other possible causes like meningitis etc. 1. Consult an Ophthalmologist to rule out any eye diseases like Corneal abrasion, scleritis etc. 2. Then do CT and MRI brain after neurologist consultation. If all the things are normal, then it is most probably a Migraine headache. My advise is to 1. Avoid sunlight whenever possible 2. Use dark tinted eye glasses. This will reduce your frequency of both headache and light sensitivity. Take medicines like Triptans and Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and paracetomol to avoid headache. Betablokers like propronolol or metaprolol can also be used as prophylaxis in Migraine patients. Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga and meditation. If possible identify and avoid triggering factors like food, environmental factors. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth Kumar.