Having headache, stomach ache, back ache and legs cramping. have low BP. Any connection?

My husband's BP has been 101/48 and was lower last night. He is complaining about headache, stomach ache, back ache and legs cramping with some numbness in left arm and leg. He is 81 years old and an active over-the-road truck driver and has been under tremendous stress the past five days with a grandson on drug use living with us.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After reading your query, two things came to my mind. First is that your husband should get some investigations done before blaming stress for the symptoms. The tests may include the general blood tests. The specific test that is indicated is serum calcium and phosphate levels, parathyroid levels, thyroid hormone levels, blood glucose levels, serum electrolytes.

Second is that he needs to keep himself calm in periods of stress. Relaxation techniques may work.

There are four major types of relaxation techniques:

Autogenic training: This technique uses both visual imagery and body awareness to move a person into a deep state of relaxation. The person imagines a peaceful place and then focuses on different physical sensations, moving from the feet to the head. For example, one might focus on warmth and heaviness in the limbs, easy, natural breathing, or a calm heartbeat.

Breathing technique like XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Progressive muscle relaxation: This technique involves slowly tensing and then releasing each muscle group individually, starting with the muscles in the toes and finishing with those in the head.

Meditation: The two most popular forms of meditation in the U.S. include Transcendental Meditation (students repeat a mantra -- a single word or phrase) and mindfulness meditation (students focus their attention on their thoughts and sensations).

I think it is worthwhile to see a doctor for investigations and management of pain.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee