Having headache, sore throat, stuffy and runny nose. Examined throat, showed small blisters with swollen paritol gland.

ENT Specialist
Having symptons for three plus days. Started as a severe headache, by next AM, sore throat, stuffy/runny nose. Very fatigued. By next day, sore throat worse, headache dull but always there amd constantly spitting up green phlem. By third day, still bad sore throat and new blisters noted at back of throat. Still spitting up lots of phlem. Examined throat. Very, very red...small red and a few white blisters (or broken blood vessels?). But don't think Strep as I had Amoxicillan and have taken about five so far and have noticed no relief. Stuffy noise seems to be gone, but lymph nodes under jaw line, Paritol gland and gland below ear are all very sore...especially on left side. Not so much on right. Also, I have no tonsils, but the area where the used to be is especially painful. Jaw pain when opening and closing...some minor ear pain too. All on left side. I'm guessing a viral infection that will need to run its course, but not 100% sure. Looking for additional imput.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your symptoms are consistent with a severe Upper viral infection with a secondary bacterial infection.

2. I would recommend that instead of plain amoxicillin (ideally thrice a day) you may take a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid (such as Augmentin) twice a day. If you develop a rash, it may be Infectious Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever).

3. Request your physician to start supportive medication such as pain killers, anti- allergic, decongestant and mucolytic medications. Regular steam inhalation will help. The phlegm may be due to sinusitis. Take adequate rest and maintain good hydration. Your doctor may also order a throat swab and blood tests if the symptoms worsen or do not subside soon.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.