Having headache, sinus pressure and inflamed throat. Took clavamox. Cold or strep throat?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX please I need advice. I can not tell if I have a cold or strep throat? I do not have my tonsils. When I cough it comes up thick and XXXXXXX as well as my throat is inflamed and when I talk its raspy. I have a head ache, as well as sinus pressure, but no fever. I have clavamox and Cephalexin available at my mothers house. I unfortunately do not have insurance at the moment, I do at my college health office, but they are closed till Monday to go see a doctor.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates that you are suffering from respiratory tract infection. But you need to be examined clinically.

As you are allergic to penicillin, amoxicillin, the best drug for you is azithromycin group of drugs. You cannot use the clavamox as it contains amoxicillin group of drug. Cephalexin is not the first line of therapy for this type of infection. So, the drugs you mentioned will not be helpful.

Besides you have to take a cough syrup containing expectorant. This is not a over the counter drug. For this, you need a prescription.

If you experience any respiratory problem, a bronchodilator like asthalin. For the sinus pressure, simple paracetamol group of drug would be enough.

So, you have to consult with your family physician or general physician for a prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having headache, sinus pressure and inflamed throat. Took clavamox. Cold or strep throat? 5 minutes later
Unfortunately I do not have insurance to go see a DR, so I am kinda self treating what I can. I do have Promethazine/Codeine 6.25-10 will this at all help with the Cephalexin.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, promethazine / codeine can reduce the frequency of cough but they cannot reduce the infection. They are not expectorant.

As i told previously, it would be better to avoid cephalexin for this type of infection as a first line of treatment. But considering your situation, you can take it. But i cannot tell you the frequency or dosing in internet.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having headache, sinus pressure and inflamed throat. Took clavamox. Cold or strep throat? 53 minutes later
Thank you so very much for your advice I wish I was able to see a DR to get the right prescription, but what I have available to me will have to do.
Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, you should consult with a doctor in person when you are able to do that.

If you have your answers, you can close this discussion.

Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Regards.