Having headache radiating to shoulder, fingers and eye pain. Can it be migraine?

Nov 2013

My wife moved from Haridwar to Bangalore in Feb 2013 and after coming to bangalore she is having headaches, sometimes in left , sometimes in Right and sometimes whole head. This pain starts radiating from head to shoulders then to fringes. Sometime she is feeling the pain in left leg also. Conslted few doctors they said its a migraine sympton. But after some time she started getting pain in eyes. When got eyes checked came to know she has power.
After wearing the spects also she is gettig headches I am not sure it is really migraine or its because of eye power or some other reasons.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 49 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely diagnosis in your wife's case is migraine.

Since she has frequent episodes of headache, she needs preventive medications (to prevent repeated episodes of pain). Sibelium (flunarizine) is a good drug, but it leads to weight gain and sleepiness. So, the other alternatives include beta blockers (such as propranolol) and topiramate.
For relief of pain, she can be given rizatriptan tablets.
With these treatments, she should get better in 3-4 weeks. If not, it may be a good idea to do a brain scan.

Eye power is not the cause of her symptoms.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: