Having headache, pain in arm and feet are swollen. Underlying cause?

i have had an excruciating headache today and the last few weeks then tonight i am having pain in my left arm and my feet are swollen
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Although headache is commonly due to migraine and cluster head ache, both conditions are rarely associated with pedal edema (swelling of feet). Headache and pedal edema could most probably due to hypertension or increase in BP.

You should visit your treating Dr immediately to confirm the diagnosis since physical examination and measurement of BP are needed for arriving at a diagnosis. Lab tests like urine analysis, albumin/creatinine ratio, electrolytes, plasma glucose, lipid profile, TSH and ECG are all confirmatory tests done in a newly diagnosed hypertensive.

Sometimes, NSAID analgesics like Diclofenac or Aceclofenac, taken for headache can cause pedal edema in sensitive individuals. If you have not taken these drugs and still if headache and pedal edema are persisting, then it is better to visit your treating Dr as persisting severe headache needs immediate attention.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any other concerns.