Having headache, nausea and vomiting. Taking advil. How to get relief?

headachehow do I treat migranes headache I have all symptoms nausea, vomiting, severe headache im taking antibiotics and advil, cannot take it anymore I am 17 a female weight 98lbs,5'0" tall
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 15 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query
Let me tell you that headache can be due to many causes like migraine, tension headache, brain infection/tumor, problems in the blood vessels of the brain and so on. Note that the diagnosis of migraine is established after excluding the other causes as I discussed.
I have noted your problem.
Before we conclude that, it is migraine (but there is a high likelihood of migraine in your case). Please visit a local neurologist will evaluate you through clinical examination and if required scans need to be done.

If it turns out to be migraine, you will benefit with
1. Acute attack: analgesics, sumatriptan nasal spray. Learn to avoid the precipitating factor like stress, lack of sleep etc. Avoid coffee, chocolate. Practice relaxation
2. Chronic attack: options are amitiptiline, propranolol, valproate, topiramate etc
Visit a neurologist, he will guide through clinical evaluation and help select you a good medicine.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: Having headache, nausea and vomiting. Taking advil. How to get relief? 2 hours later
okay thank you I will check up on that. Is there a way to distract myself from the headaches and pain while I tend to see a neurologist
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 43 minutes later

Yes, there are a lot of ways by which you can distract yourself from the headache and pains. You can try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

Moderate amount of exercise will keep you healthy, active and fit. Try learning a new hobby, join a music class.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes