Having headache, fever, chills, sore muscle and dry cough. Diagnosed as viral infection. Any ideas?

For three days now I have been having bad head aches, fever, the chills, hot flashes, muscle sorness especially in the back and neck, dry cough and sweat really bad during hot flash. Went to doctor because I though it was pneumonia but after a chest X-ray the doc said there was no signs of pneumonia. He said possible viral infection and all I can do is treat the symptoms, that was yesterday and still feel just as bad. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to clarify right away that any fever associated with chills and hot flashes is most likely to be bacterial than viral and any bacterial infection definitely needs work up and a course of antibiotics, most commonly used is a broad spectrum antibiotic like amox with clavulanic acid for 5 days.
I recommend you to re visit your doctor again for a routine blood test to rule out bacterial infection most likely of the upper respiratory tract. In the mean while please continue symptomatic treatment and take adequate fluids and bed rest.

I hope I have answered to your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health