Having headache, fever and chills. Took ibuprofen. Is it due to virus?

Three mornings ago I woke up not feeling great after a rough nights sleep. I developed a headache around and above my eyes that consistently worsened throughout the day. In the evening, I developed a fever and chills. That night, I sweated out the fever as I woke up yesterday morning in all wet sheets/clothes/etc from sweating. The headache persisted yesterday and improves with ibuprofen. THis morning I woke up and the headache was even worse with some 3-5 second periods of major throbbing, typically made worse with movement of my head. This again improved with ibuprofen but has not come back this evening. Several people have mentioned a virus going around but I have no other symptoms. Any idea if this could just be a virus? I have no sinus drainage, sore throat, etc. Just the headache and the fever the one evening. My vision has not blurred but it does feel painful to look left and right. I don't typically get headaches. Thanks
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 1 hour later

Thank for writing in.

Based on details provided, yes, Viral fever is the most likely possibility. You may have other prodromol symptoms like body pains and generalised weakness too. Viral fever will subside with antipyretics and plenty of fluids by a week

However if headache persists even after subside of fever, or intesity of headache increases and worrisome then you need to consult neurologist to rule out meningitis (inflammation of meninges). Detailed neurological examination and fundus examination to rule out papilledema ( sign for raised intracranial pressure) will be required.

Continue with ibuprofen for another couple of days after food. Take rest and have plenty of fluids.

Hope I have answered your query