Having headache at the back of head, which starts when tensed or stressed. Prescribed Trica. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I am having headache at the back of my head. Its a throbbing sensation witha lot of pain and generally stays for 1-3 days. It goes away if I have a sound sleep. It generally starts if I am tensed or stressed with something. But once it starts it gives a lot of trouble for a couple of days. I first had this kind of pain 2 years back. I consulted a general physician and he prescribed .25mg dosage of 'Trica' for 5 days. That was the only time I had that drug to pacify my headache. Please suggest a solution for this problem.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description, there are two likely causes for your headaches, muscle tension headache and migraine. Both these conditions can be diagnosed on the basis of history.
I need the following details to decide which of the above two conditions you are suffering from.

1. Do you have a feeling of vomiting (nausea)?
2. Do you vomit during headache episodes?
3. Does your headache worsen in sunlight?
4. Does your headache worsen with noise?
5. Do any of your family members have headaches?

Please get back with above details.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog:
Follow-up: Having headache at the back of head, which starts when tensed or stressed. Prescribed Trica. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor for the quick response.

1. No I do not have feeling of vomiting.
2. No I do not vomit during headache.
3. If I stay in peak sunlight for more than 15-20 mins then I start having headache. Otherwise with light sunlight I do not have any problem.
4. No it is not effected by noise.
5. None of my family member has this problem.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

The description is suggestive of muscle tension headache.
You would benefit from DOTHIEPIN (prothiaden) tablets. The usual starting dose is 25 mg per day, taken at night after dinner.
In addition, neck extension exercises for 10 minutes twice daily would also be useful. This can be learnt under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)