Having headache around temple, mild dizziness and pain in neck. What could be the reason?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor, I am a 33 year Old male. Desk Job - Sits and Works in front of a Computer. Overweight. No Hypertension (Checked 3 months back). I have been having almost Daily headaches for past few Weeks. The Headache is 1. Dull (Sometimes throbbing). Not Severe Pain. 2. One Sided (Left) during most of the time. Very Rarely it spread to other side. 3. Pain is around Temple and Back and Top of Head. Mild Pain in Neck. 4. Mild Dizziness when I bend down to do some thing with my Neck in a twisted position. 5. No difficulty sleeping. 6. Sudden Jerky Movements sometimes trigger a pain from Back of Head to Temple (Left Side). Please Advise.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Based on the description, there are two main possibilities: 1. Muscle tension headache- worsening in the evenings, absence of nausea or vomiting, and relief with massage would favor this diagnosis. 2. Migraine- presence of nausea or vomiting and increased sensitivity to light or noise would favor this diagnosis. Please get examined by a neurologist. A brain scan may be required to exclude any internal brain problems. Medications that could help you are beta blockers, topiramate, divalproex (for migraine) and amitryptiline or dothiepin for muscle tension headaches. These medications reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. In addition, you may take ibuprofen or naprosyn to reduce the headaches. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, My personal URL on this website: My blog:
Follow-up: Having headache around temple, mild dizziness and pain in neck. What could be the reason? 6 minutes later
Thank You Doctor for your fast reply. Some facial movements like Raising eyebrows too high is also causing a difference in the Pain. I do understand that I will have to see a Neurologist. However, Will a delay of 2-3 Weeks make a difference if this is something more serious like a Tumour ? I have an important family event coming up in two weeks and would will be available only after 2 weeks. Please Advise.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: No, there is no problem if you wait for two weeks. As of now, you can take medications for pain relief. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)